Re: Can someone briefly refresh my memory...

From: Martin Burbridge <pobox002_at_bebub.com>
Date: 29 Apr 2004 10:40:50 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40910151$0$29255$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> I set timing on in Sql*Plus 8.1.7.0, did a bit of DML and came out with
> a time of (and I quote) "00:01:101.96".
>
> Does that mean '1 minute, 101 point 96 seconds'?

I did some tests once and I am pretty sure I finally discovered what these strange timings are.

In your case it is

1 whole minute OR 101.96 seconds.

So the seconds part is correct, and the minutes part just tells you how many minutes are in the seconds. If you set up a timer and leave it going you can see it does the same for hours too, or if your really unlucky some of your existing queries can be used to the same effect.

E.g.

1 hour and 1 minute and 30 seconds should display as something like

01:61:3690.00

> Why is it not 2 minutes 41.96 seconds, which feels about right for the
> run in question??

If I'm right it was almost two minutes if that sounds reasonable. I'm not absolutely sure so I'm open to being corrected. FWIW it appears to be 'fixed' in 10g for Windows at least.

Hth
Martin Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 12:40:50 CDT