Re: Maximum number of enabled rows exceeded

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:22:39 +1000

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> elziko wrote:
>

>> I have just freshly installed 9i2 Standard. I then created a database and
>> now I'm trying to do a full database import from an 8.1.7 full export.
>>
>> However, I get an error:
>>
>> ORA-01925 Maximum of 30 enabled roles exceeded. I have read around on
>> metalink (first time I've used it and I think its pretty clumsy!) and it
>> seems that I have to edit my spfileSID.ora. Inside this file I can
>> find no
>> refrence to the maximum number of roles and it doesn't even look like the
>> sort of file I 'd want to edit by hand!
>>
>> On Metalink there was someone who mentioned having some GUI for
>> editing this
>> file and setting max_enabled_roles. The thread was closed by Oracle
>> before
>> an answer was given as to what this GUI was.
>>
>> Can anyone explain to me how to edit this file or where the GUI mentioned
>> can me found?
>>

> Please visit www.dizwell.com, and check the basic FAQ. You'll find
> everything you wanted to know about editing the spfile. Not only does it
> not look like something you'd want to edit by hand, but you *can't* edit
> it by hand: it's binary, not text.
>
> You will want to edit max_enabled_roles, which does indeed default to
> 30. You do it by issuing alter system commands, and specifying the
> spfile scope, because that parameter is not dynamic.
>
> Regards
> HJR

Incidentally, I meant to mention that the GUI they were referring to was almost certainly Enterprise Manager. But the command line is a lot easier to use.

Oh, and also incidentally, not every parameter is included explicitly in the spfile (which is why you couldn't find it when you looked). If it's not explicitly included, then the default value applies. But with alter system commands, you can specify your own explicit values, which will cause the parameter to be explicitly written into the spfile.

To see all possible parameters, and not just the ones that have been set, do a select name from v$parameter (or v$spparameter).

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 04:22:39 CDT