Re: delete from a view

From: Frederic Houbie <fh_at_ionicsoft.comNOSPAAAAM>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:08:41 +0200

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:06:43 +0000, Brian Peasland wrote:

>> In fact, I have a Oracle Type T1 and several type that inherit T1. For
>> each child type, I have an oracle table of that type.
>> My view is a view that return T1 object and is the union of all the table
>> that are childs of t1, so, I'm sure that I have no duplicate row and key
>> (which are uuid so unique in the world) are unique. That's
>> the reason why I thought I could delete a row from that view.

> But you can't guarantee uniqueness between the base tables involved in
> the UNION ALL. What mechanism does the database have to guarantee that a
> record in TABLE1 is not also present in TABLE2? There isn't one
> (natively). But all of this makes no difference since you can't delete
> from a UNION ALL view.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

ID primary key are generated by my java application. It uses Global id generation like urn:uuid:6ef7f826-2837-457a-bbf1-b963a9c85cd5 which use MAC address of network card to generate the key. So, i'm sure that I do not have two similar key in the database.

Fred Received on Thu Apr 29 2004 - 04:08:41 CDT