Re: - determine Operating system using pl/sql??

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:19:40 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Holger Baer wrote:
>

>>  From dbsmutil.sql:
>>

>> FUNCTION port_string RETURN VARCHAR2;
>>   PRAGMA RESTRICT_REFERENCES(port_string, WNDS, RNDS, WNPS, RNPS);
>>   --  Return a string that uniquely identifies the port (operating
>> system)
>>   --  and the two task protocol version of Oracle.  EG "VAX/VMX-7.1.0.0"
>>   --  "SVR4-be-8.1.0" (SVR4-b(ig)e(ndian)-8.1.0)
>>   --  maximum length is port specific.
>>
>> So we're not talking about Oracle Version, but two task protokol version,
>> what ever difference that makes.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Holger

> Cheers Holger!
>
> What difference *does* it make, I wonder!?
>
> Regards
> HJR
According to metalink, bug note 369411, the following:

<quote>
Please note the version number. It is always appearing as 7.0.0. When i asked the reason for this behaviour I was told : "The port string is used to identify the TWO TASK PROTOCOL version of the RDBMS, not the RDBMS version. That's why different RDBMS versions may have the same port string. It means that the two task protocol didn't change." It is a documentation bug. Comment in dbmsutil.sql should be corrected to make it clear.
</quote>

The bug was that in Version 7 days, the comment for dbms_util said it would report the oracle version number, which is why this was classified as a documentation bug.

Cheers,

Holger Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 04:19:40 CDT