Re: select "triggers"

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:10:55 GMT

"Prem K Mehrotra" <premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:43441e77.0404281938.5ff05f82_at_posting.google.com...
> Oracle 9i introduced Fine Grained Auditing whereby when data is
> selected from a table,
> audit event handler can be invoked to track changes. I, however, want
> to do follwing:
>
> when a row is selected, I want to modify its data before it is
> returned to user.
> I cannot do it in application code because my application is third
> party. Is there something like a insert trigger for select (reverse
> of insert), where value returned can be modified, e.eg.m if data was
> stored in a column in compressed fsaion, I
> want to return it as uncompressed in a "select" trigger.
>
> I looked at FGA, I could not find anyway to aalter returned data.
>

> Appreciate any help,
>
> Thanks a lot.

Re-think your FGA approach .. and instead create a view. That takes care of your select.
"create or replace view myview as select col1, myfunc.uncompress(col2) from mytable".

And use instead of triggers to take care of inserts/updates/deletes to the view.

Anurag Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 23:10:55 CDT