Re: delete from a view

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:06:43 GMT

> In fact, I have a Oracle Type T1 and several type that inherit T1. For
> each child type, I have an oracle table of that type.
> My view is a view that return T1 object and is the union of all the table
> that are childs of t1, so, I'm sure that I have no duplicate row and key
> (which are uuid so unique in the world) are unique. That's
> the reason why I thought I could delete a row from that view.

But you can't guarantee uniqueness between the base tables involved in the UNION ALL. What mechanism does the database have to guarantee that a record in TABLE1 is not also present in TABLE2? There isn't one (natively). But all of this makes no difference since you can't delete from a UNION ALL view.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com