Re: Can Oracle save a tree?

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 28 Apr 2004 12:28:17 -0700

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<408f8198$0$20514$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...

> Obviously you might actually have tables for STATE and DISTRICT if necessary
> as well.

You have hit the nail right on the head, Niall. What if I don't know in advance whether there are districts or not? We happen to have about 2000 client companies and I don't want to write 2000 programs.

The names "DISTRICT" or "STATE" should not be hardwired into a table name, they are just soft labels that can be present in one company and absent in the next. Consider also the case when one company takes over another (we had Cendant, the owner of AVIS taking over Budget, and soon we will have Bank of America merge with Fleet Bank), that's the kind of flexibility I'd like to have. A user could just drag a tree into another and bang! the 2 companies have just merged.

-Ramon Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 14:28:17 CDT