Re: Can Oracle save a tree?

From: Ramon F Herrera <ramon_at_conexus.net>
Date: 28 Apr 2004 12:03:52 -0700

Tough crowd, man! (MY kind of crowd...)

> Repeat after me 1500 times:
>
> "I shall NEVER AGAIN write my code without knowing the data model first"
> "It is STUPID and I've been misled by TOTAL MORONS into believing it is
> the right way to design applications"
>
> In triplicate, please.

Well, in this particular application (and in general) one could argue that if you design the interfaces properly, it doesn't matter the order or simultaneity between the 2 aspects above.

This protocol is simple and standard enough. When you need to fill the tree/forest at the GU level, the Oracle/web server will send you something like this:

Midwest           3 1
Illinois          3 1 2
Chicago           3 1 2 1
Sears_Tower_Store 3 1 2 1 7
New_England       4 1
Vermont           4 1 3

That's the _only_ agreement necessary between the client and the server and therefore it doesn't matter whether I resort to a traditional (i.e., relational) storage or the more flexible objects.

Two programmers incomunicado from each other could do the project, an Oracle DBA and a GUI type of guy.

-Ramon Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 14:03:52 CDT