Re: delete from a view

From: Frederic Houbie <fh_at_ionicsoft.comNOSPAAAAM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:54:25 +0200

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:38:27 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:18:37 +0200, Frederic Houbie
> <fh_at_ionicsoft.comNOSPAAAAM> wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I have a view that is a union all of several select. If I try to delete a
>>row, I get ora 01752 error.
>>
>>I'm sure that I can delete the row directly, there is no constraint of FK
>>on it.
>>
>>Any idea ?
>>

>>Thanks
>>
>>Frederic
>
> Union all views are not updatable for obvious reasons (and this is
> documented)
> Apart from the obvious solution (ie deleting the record directly) you
> could try an instead of trigger on your view.
> But you may ask whether you want your application yet more unstable.

In fact, I have a Oracle Type T1 and several type that inherit T1. For each child type, I have an oracle table of that type. My view is a view that return T1 object and is the union of all the table that are childs of t1, so, I'm sure that I have no duplicate row and key (which are uuid so unique in the world) are unique. That's the reason why I thought I could delete a row from that view. Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 10:54:25 CDT