Re: Table performance over time

From: Richard A Foote <richard.foote_at_tbigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:16:37 GMT

"Richard Elliott" <richard.a.elliott_at_williams.com> wrote in message news:8c132b3c.0404261203.ff5cfdc_at_posting.google.com...
> Watching the performance of several tables decline over time. Is there
> a standard process to perform on tables that have lots of
> updates,inserts and deletes on them ? I know from experiance that an
> export/import will improved performance, but that's not feasible
> except in the case of an emergency restore.
>
> Using the Rule based optimizer, so I don't think analysing the tables
> will make any difference ? (Why I'm using RBO is a whole different
> subject)
>
> Unix Solaris 2.7 (migrating to 2.8 next month)
> Oracle 8.1.6 (migrating to 9I this summer)

Hi Richard,

The first question you need to ask yourself (and hopefully answer) is *why* does your performance decline over time ? Until you answer that question, you're only guessing on the required solution. Perhaps your pctfree/pctused settings are all wrong, perhaps the execution plan is inappropriate and becomes more so as the table size increases, perhaps it's got something to do with the rainy afternoons, guess, guess, guess ...

Trace your session and find out what's going on....

Then no need to guess anymore.

Cheers

Richard Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 09:16:37 CDT