Re: - determine Operating system using pl/sql??

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:31:35 +0200

Holger Baer wrote:
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Holger Baer wrote:
>>
>>>  From dbsmutil.sql:
>>>

>>> FUNCTION port_string RETURN VARCHAR2;
>>>   PRAGMA RESTRICT_REFERENCES(port_string, WNDS, RNDS, WNPS, RNPS);
>>>   --  Return a string that uniquely identifies the port (operating
>>> system)
>>>   --  and the two task protocol version of Oracle.  EG "VAX/VMX-7.1.0.0"
>>>   --  "SVR4-be-8.1.0" (SVR4-b(ig)e(ndian)-8.1.0)
>>>   --  maximum length is port specific.
>>>
>>> So we're not talking about Oracle Version, but two task protokol
>>> version,
>>> what ever difference that makes.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Holger
>>

>> Cheers Holger!
>>
>> What difference *does* it make, I wonder!?
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR

> According to metalink, bug note 369411, the following:
>
> <quote>
> Please note the version number. It is always appearing as 7.0.0.
> When i asked the reason for this behaviour I was told :
> "The port string is used to identify the TWO TASK PROTOCOL version of the
> RDBMS, not the RDBMS version. That's why different RDBMS versions may
> have the
> same port string. It means that the two task protocol didn't change."
> It is a documentation bug. Comment in dbmsutil.sql should be corrected to
> make it clear.
> </quote>
>
> The bug was that in Version 7 days, the comment for dbms_util said it would
> report the oracle version number, which is why this was classified as a
> documentation bug.

And as a follow up (never post before you've read *all* metalink articles :-) ) here's what port_string is actually for (bug note 342076):

<quote>
The string is the port identifier sring osnrep, and it

is used to determine if the two-task connection is homogeneous. </quote>

Cheers,

Holger Received on Wed Apr 28 2004 - 04:31:35 CDT