question about a search

From: Matt <awpilotnospam_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:00:01 GMT

I'm creating PSP pages.

I have a page where a user can enter a search term, and two radio buttons to select whether they would like to search the name field, or the description field.

So, I created a cursor like this:

<%!cursor game_cursor is
select *
from video_game
where search_area LIKE '%&search_terms%';%>

I have these parameters:

<%_at_plsql parameter="search_terms" default="null"%> <%_at_plsql parameter="search_area" default="null"%>

search_terms is the text box from the page where the user types what they would like to search for

search_area refers to the field in the database they would like to search: name or description

But when I use a for loop to run this cursor, nothing seems to happen:

 for game_row in game_cursor loop
  --if game_cursor%rowcount = 0 then%>
  --else
%>

  <%
  --end if;
%>

 it's looping
 <%
 end loop;
 %>

it appears to skip over the loop altogether. I think this is because the system seems to think that 'search_area' or 'search_terms,' which are part of the cursor, are actual fields, when they are not. I want them to be placeholders or variables which can change.

so, my sql would like this if the user searched the name field for 'mvp baseball':

select *
from video_game
where Name LIKE '%MVP Baseball%'

And the user should be able to search the name or description field depending on what they choose.

Thanks for any help.

Matt Received on Mon Apr 26 2004 - 18:00:01 CDT