Re: How to move Oracle database to a new machine?

From: Joan <joan48105_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2004 14:57:35 -0700

empete2000_at_yahoo.com (Pete's) wrote in message news:<6724a51f.0404260526.530dec29_at_posting.google.com>...
> D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com> wrote in message news:<408BEA4F.4070801_at_orindasoft.com>...

> I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. It would be
> helpful to all if you posted the OS versions of both machines. Also
> one question for yourself, how much downtime are you allowed? I'm
> assuming this is a production DB move. Without knowing all the
> details and if it were me and I were allowed several hours of
> downtime, I would do the following:
> 1. Load & patch Oracle to the needed levels on Server 2.
> 2. Setup needed directory structures on Server 2 for the DB, also the
> init.ora.
> 3. Shutdown db & listener on server 1.
> 4. Copy database from server 1 to server 2
> 5. Start up db and listener on server 2.
> 6. Change your tnsnames.ora file on all servers and clients to
> reflect this change.
> You're done.
>
> If you were not allowed much downtime, then restore a cold backup of
> database onto server 2, i.e. I would do the following:
>
> 1. Same as above.
> 2. Same as above.
> 3. Startup db on server 2 but do not open.
> 4. Copy archives from the backup you used to the current ones created
> onto Server2.
> 5. Issue recover database to apply those logs.
> 6. Shutdown DB on server 1.
> 7. Copy all archive logs that are on server1 that ARE NOT on server
> 2.
> 8. Issue recover database again.
> 9. open your database, it should open normally, i.e. without a
> resetlogs.
> 10. Change all of your tns information on all servers and clients to
> reflect this change.
>
> One note, try a test restore of the database to server 2 before
> migrating to it, i.e. test it first before actually moving it.
>
> HTH,
> Pete's

The old OS is SunOS 5.8. The new one will be SunOS too. I don't know the version yet.

In your first step4 (copy database from server 1 to 2), this means copying only data files(*.dbf) or all database files (including control files, redo log file password file, etc)?

Do directories on server 2 have to be same as the ones on server 1?

Since the new machine is not ready, I tried to practice on my PC first (I figure if moving to a different OS will work, it will be a snap to move to a same OS later). So I downloaded Oracle817NTEE from Oracle Corporate website and tried to install it on my PC (runnning Windows2000 Professional). I tried to run setup.exe but nothing happens. The Universal Installer won't open. I restarted my computer but it didn't help. Any idea what I could've done wrong?

Thanks so much for everyone's help.

Joan Received on Mon Apr 26 2004 - 16:57:35 CDT