Re: How to associate hardware information into an Oracle Table?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 08:10:51 -0400

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:408b6161$0$674$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
| Chuck Lee wrote:
| > Hi,
| >
| > I am new on Windows 2000 .
| > I am using the following script in order to get the windows 2000
| > hardware information.
| > I am using 8.1.7 version of ORACLE.
| > I am using a table "Server Hardware"(Server list,Network Adapter,RAM).
| > I would like to ask that how should or where should I use this script
| > in order to associate its information into my table "Server Hardware".
| > Could someone give me hints that how to use this script?
| >
| > Thanks
| >
| > Lee
| >

| You have a Windows Scripting Host (VBS) script which returns the
| operating system and version number from the machine it is run on.
|
| It doesn't return the Server Name, Network Adapter or the amount of RAM.
|
| Quite how you intend to use this script to populate a table which is
| comprised of columns for those details, I can't imagine.
|
| If your question is 'can a VB Script be used to interrogate a machine
| and then attach to a database in order to insert an appropriate record
| into a table?', the answer is definitely 'yes'... but not this script.
|
| You're going to need to brush up on your VB scripting skills, I think.
|
| Not that it answers your question precisely, but if you want to see a VB
| script interacting with an Oracle database, you might want to look up
| the Basic FAQ for Backups and Recoveries at www.dizwell.com. There's an
| example .vbs which performs a hot backup there, and needs to connect to
| the database first to work out what tablespaces and data files there are
| to back up.
|
| Regards
| HJR
Lee,

if it's not practical to set up an ODBC source on the WSH machine then here's a some options:

[_] write your wscript to generate a SQL script, then use a windows command file to execute your wscript followed by a call to SQL*Plus to execute the generated script
[_] write your wscript to generate a data file that can be processed by oracle loader, then have your windows command file call your script plus oracle loader
[_] write your wscript to generate a data file that is 'attached' to the database as an external file (assuming the database is running on the same machine)

what's your overall scenario? are you doing this for one machine, or are you interrogating multiple machines? how frequently must the script be run?

;-{ mcs Received on Sun Apr 25 2004 - 07:10:51 CDT