Re: short of memory ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 07:10:58 +0000 (UTC)

Note in line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar
July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

> You don't need to, Anurag. A non-zero value for pga_aggregate_target
> automatically means worksize_area_policy is set to AUTO.
>
> Quite what use the second parameter is, therefore, remains a complete
> mystery to me (it makes no sense, after all, to request an aggregate
> target but then say you want to handle PGA allocations manually). But
> there it is.
If you set pga_aggregate_target to a non-zero value, then there is a hidden parameter _use_realfree_heap which changes from false to true, even when workarea_size_policy is set to manual. Apparently this enables the routines that use 'real freeing' of pga memory if the o/s supports the feature. I haven't tested this yet.