Re: How to associate hardware information into an Oracle Table?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 16:57:42 +1000

Chuck Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new on Windows 2000 .
> I am using the following script in order to get the windows 2000
> hardware information.
> I am using 8.1.7 version of ORACLE.
> I am using a table "Server Hardware"(Server list,Network Adapter,RAM).
> I would like to ask that how should or where should I use this script
> in order to associate its information into my table "Server Hardware".
> Could someone give me hints that how to use this script?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee

You have a Windows Scripting Host (VBS) script which returns the operating system and version number from the machine it is run on.

It doesn't return the Server Name, Network Adapter or the amount of RAM.

Quite how you intend to use this script to populate a table which is comprised of columns for those details, I can't imagine.

If your question is 'can a VB Script be used to interrogate a machine and then attach to a database in order to insert an appropriate record into a table?', the answer is definitely 'yes'... but not this script.

You're going to need to brush up on your VB scripting skills, I think.

Not that it answers your question precisely, but if you want to see a VB script interacting with an Oracle database, you might want to look up the Basic FAQ for Backups and Recoveries at www.dizwell.com. There's an example .vbs which performs a hot backup there, and needs to connect to the database first to work out what tablespaces and data files there are to back up.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Apr 25 2004 - 01:57:42 CDT