Re: oracle standard vs oracle enterprise

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Apr 2004 20:52:39 -0700

auto3545_at_hushmail.com (Eddie Wedensworth) wrote in message news:<9d76f9da.0404231252.1efd0a90_at_posting.google.com>...

> "Terry Dykstra" <dontreply_tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca.x> wrote in message news:<P6aic.6656$w63.2933_at_edtnps89>...

> > With 10g there is a new entry-level version that is licensed for a single
> > processor box.
> >
> > --
> > Terry Dykstra
> > Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> > <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > "gigg" <giorgior2003_at_tiscali.it> wrote in message

>  and

>  processor

> > > No, it is not true. The second one has
> > > - much more features
> > > - supports more than 4 processors
> > > (standard supports up to 4 processors, but doesn't have the special
> > > software to distribute queries)
> > >
> > > If you consider the number of processors supported the most import
> > > difference
> > > visit http://otn.oracle.com and look and the 'Family of database
> > > products' paper yourself.
> > >
> > > Sybrand Bakker
> > > Senior Oracle DBA
>

> Does the standard edition have a memory maximum limitation the way SQL
> Server Standard versus Enterprise does? (SQL Standard tops out at 2
> Gigs).  I'm considering this on a largish-WinTel box...

its been discussed here many times.
a few switches, an incantation and a few clicks of the heels, and IF and ONLY IF you are running the right version which was compiled for large memory support, you can run an oracle.exe process up to about 2.7 GB. Real GB, not hard drive manufacturer GB (think power of 2, not power of 10).

w2k3 std ed support "large memory". w2k adv server supports "large memory".

large memory worked in 8.1.7.2.6.
broken in 8.1.7.4.1, 8.1.7.4.6.
worked in 9.2.0.4
haven't tested it with 10.1.0.2 - yet.

its a 32bit OS limitation, not a limitation of Std Ed vs. Ent Ed.

hth.

Pd Received on Fri Apr 23 2004 - 22:52:39 CDT