Re: What's up with tahiti.com - anyone else have problems?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Apr 2004 16:28:20 -0700

Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com> wrote in message news:<ljif805hv1ql72u7o7qu69rfcnreg3ktce_at_4ax.com>...
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote:
>
> >Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<pnp780hjdmousskt7jvi322ur63g23n734_at_4ax.com>...
> >> Anyone else having problems with tahiti.oracle.com? I normally hit it
> >> several times a day to look up an error msg or check a manual. On
> >> Friday it asked me to log in (something it seems to do sporadically)
> >> but wouldn't accept my userid and password. Even after requesting a
> >> confirmation of my password, I copied and pasted the information from
> >> the confirming e-mail, but still rejected.
> >>
> >> What's even more strange is that after following some links to find a
> >> place to report the problem, I found myself at
> >> http://www.oracle.com/corporate/contact/index.html, and that page had
> >> a 'Welcome' with my e-mail address and a 'logout' link. It obviously
> >> thought I was already logged in. When I followed links from there to
> >> the OTN forums, (http://forums.oracle.com/forums/index.jsp?cat=48) the
> >> Welcome said I was 'guest' and had a 'Login' link.
> >>
> >> I was able to read the OTN forums as a guest, there were several
> >> others reporting the same problem.
> >
> >I've noticed a number of strangenesses among the various sites since
> >they put out the new metalink, looks to me like they are trying to
> >rollout various new pages and us users see the results of
> >webcache-aphasia. I wonder if they are upgrading their SSO?
> >
> >jg
> Since cookies are used to indicate your log in status, perhaps you accidentally ( or as part of your security routines)
> deleted the cookie(s) used by Tahiti, etc or the site is failing to read some of your cookies.
> (Somehow that sounds slightly dirty :-) )

Only if they're walnut cookies. :-)

> If Tahiti ( or metalink and otn) fails to properly add the cookie-reading routine to a new page, it will not recognize you.

I do sometimes delete cookies, but the effect is capricious and when it happens it happens much more often than that. Simply following links in a roundabout manner through the various sites seems to be enough, and like Ed noticed, certain sites seem to get hiccups at times.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus
http://www.multicians.org/cookie.html