Re: orakill question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Apr 2004 16:08:14 -0700

Vince Laurent <eAddict_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3ssf80loclf6gv0gfp99o64ob9njmd1fi6_at_4ax.com>...
> One of our vendors likes to use the utility orakill all the time.
> From the docs I found:
>
> The orakill utility should be used as a last resort only. If the
> session cannot be killed more gracefully (via alter system kill
> session), or the instance is inaccessible via SQL, then orakill should
> be used to terminate the offending session.
>
> But this not is about if is the right tool or what, I have a question
> related to the tool.
>
> Is there a way to monitor what locks it kills? Since our vendor gave
> access to it to a variety of folks I need to be able to monitor its
> use. Who is using it and what sessions they have killed. Anyone know
> of a way?

Move it and replace it with a bat file that does some checking and logging before calling it (or just write a bat file if your users will listen to you when you say something different than the vendor). You might want to check they aren't killing the background processes, see metalink Note: 69882.1 for how to find those. Perhaps you can demonstrate to your users how easy it is to screw up the instance.

As far as the locks, Oracle handles those.

> Thanks!
> Vince

jg

--