Re: Multiple installations of oracle on a single unix system

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:58:51 GMT

VK wrote:

> Any precautions I need to take before I install more than one database
> on a single unix system?
> Thanks for your help.

I find your question somewhat difficult to interpret. The following assumes you are not an Oracle expert, but potentially have significant experience with other RDBMSs ...

Generally in the Oracle world, we think "a database is created, the software is installed, and an instance (specifically a database-instance) is instantiated." Much of the docco tends to reinforce this terminology.

IF you refer to installing multiple copies of the software, Oracle has resolved that to a large extent using a technique referenced as "multiple ORACLE HOMEs".

IF you refer to creating multiple databases, you may wish to look at ORACLE_SID and Optimal Flexible Architecture. Also review the definition of schema - in many situations multiple schemas (in one database) would be a better approach than multiple databases, while accomplishing the same objective from an end-user's point of view.

IF you refer to instantiating multiple instances, ensure your Shared Memory and Semaphores are satisfactory for ALL concurrently running instances. In general I feel it is better to keep the number of instances on a single machine to a minimum, preferrably one! It can be very, very difficult to tune and load-balance when the pieces of multiple instances start chewing up the CPU(s).

Regardless of how many whatevers .... ensure appropriate SA training, especially with CPU, Memoryt and Swap/page monitor tools.

HTH
/Hans Received on Thu Apr 22 2004 - 13:58:51 CDT