Re: Alternative SQL command to Dead Connection Detection ?

From: miam <nospam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:09:44 +0200

> this is a common problem on win32-based oracle systems.
> Daniel was quite close, querying v$session, but the column of interest
> is last_call_et (in seconds).
>
> <usual rant>
> Dead connection detection still did not work for win32 on 9.2.0.4.
> I have not yet tested it for win32 on 9.2.0.5.
>
> It is supposed to work on *nix and linux, via the sqlnet.ora
> sqlnet.expire_timeout parameter.
>
> you did not post OS and Oracle version info, so I will stop there.

I didn't know that the dead connection detection doesn't work on win32

We have several customers who use oracle server on IBM AIX, linux and win nt, mainly version 8.1.6
But, my goal was not to enable DCD, if possible.

I'm looking for a command which force Oracle to verify the validity of the connection at the moment I call the function. Selecting v$session doesn't ask oracle to actively detect dead connections...

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of hopes...

--
miam