Re: Restoring Data Using RMan

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:41:18 GMT

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:19:02 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

>> 2. How can I explicitly tell it to use a specific backup set to use
>> for the restore?
>
>AFAIR, you can't. RMAN uses an intelligent algorithm to determine what
>is used for restores (disk backups are preferred to tapes, fulls to
>incrementals etc... basically, a bunch of assumptions that are followed
>to try and minimise the recovery time).

But( if in archivelog mode) he could list the backup sets and notice their timestamps and then do an incomplete restore + recovery with the RMAN command

  set until time = '..............'

to let another backupset than the most recent be restored.

Though still bad business, I guess, the purpose of RMAN is exactly to free DBA's from manually handling backup sets and other abstracts.