Re: table stats

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:53:23 +0000 (UTC)

The default statistics collection for dbms_stats is NOT to collect histograms. (Connor's comment about 'for all columns size 1' is correct - but this means no histogram).

If you check user_tab_histograms after a default collection, you will find 2 entries per column, but this isn't a 'real' histogram, it's just a way of representing the low/high.

Possibly your 'takes ages' using dbms_stats is because the default for dbms_stats is a COMPUTE - try setting estimate_percent
to a value that matches your analyze.

I do have a vague memory of seeing a bug report about dbms_stats taking longer than the equivalent analyze though - even when doing (notionally) the same thing. I don't recall any details though.

As far as I know, for CBO purposes you can mix dbms_stats with analyze perfectly safely. The relevant figures are usually identical once you've worked out the exact matching set of parameters to dbms_stats.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar
July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar
September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar