Re: oracle9i on which linux distribution in production? feedback needed plz

From: Joe Fischer <jfischer_at___fischerhome__.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:23:28 GMT

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:30:56 +0200, "TOTO" <nodiff_at_diff.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if there are some users out there, that use:
>"non commercial enterprise" linux distributions (like suse linux enterprise
>server8, or redhat enterprise server 3)
>with oracle database 9i in production environments?
>
>Are you using one of those in production:
>1) gentoo,
>2) debian
>3) suse professional
>4) slackware or
>5) red hat
>5) xyz?
>
>How big is your oracle db, what is your experience with those distributions?
>
>Which linux version would you recommend for a production environment?
>
>In advance, many thanks for your feedback!

        What about your hardware? It is all a total packge - Oracle certified on certain OS's, those OS's certified on certain hardware, etc.

        There was a paper written by somebody at IBM trying to justify going the certified route (using DB2, of course) rather than PostgreSQL on whatever you can scrounge up. Certainly you have to consider the motivation for writing that paper but it does bring up some good points to consider when you are talking about a production system. I don't know if I can find the article but I think it is on IBM's DB2 page somewhere.

Remove underscores from e-mail address. Received on Wed Apr 21 2004 - 19:23:28 CDT