Re: Alternative SQL command to Dead Connection Detection ?

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2004 17:05:54 -0700

"miam" <nospam_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<c65svo$qk2$1_at_news-reader3.wanadoo.fr>...
> Hello
>
> From my administration program connected to an Oracle database, I want to
> probe another session, to know if it is dead or not at this time, but
> without enabling the SQL*Net's Dead Connection Detection.
>
> Does any SQL command exist to do that ?
> For example, something like "ALTER SYSTEM ..."
>
> I didn't find this in the documentation, and I'm afraid it couldn't exist...
>
> Thanks...

miam,

this is a common problem on win32-based oracle systems. Daniel was quite close, querying v$session, but the column of interest is last_call_et (in seconds).

<usual rant>
Dead connection detection still did not work for win32 on 9.2.0.4. I have not yet tested it for win32 on 9.2.0.5.

It is supposed to work on *nix and linux, via the sqlnet.ora sqlnet.expire_timeout parameter.

you did not post OS and Oracle version info, so I will stop there.

Pd Received on Wed Apr 21 2004 - 19:05:54 CDT