Re: Restoring Data Using RMan

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:19:02 +1000

Michael wrote:
> Hello, in using Oracle9i I am testing RMan.
>
> I am backing up a test database that is NOT in ArchiveLog mode using
> RMan (see script below). Also, this particular backup\restore test is
> NOT using any catalog (not explicity at least) and I am working from
> the command line (not OEM).
>
> My restore (restore database) works but:
> 1. How does it determining the location and version of my backup set
> to use?

Because those details are *always* stored in the control file of the database being backed up. They are then replicated into a catalog database, if you have one. You don't have a catalog but (we hope!) you still have a control file.

> 2. How can I explicitly tell it to use a specific backup set to use
> for the restore?

AFAIR, you can't. RMAN uses an intelligent algorithm to determine what is used for restores (disk backups are preferred to tapes, fulls to incrementals etc... basically, a bunch of assumptions that are followed to try and minimise the recovery time).

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Apr 21 2004 - 18:19:02 CDT