Restoring Data Using RMan

From: Michael <melliott42_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2004 13:09:13 -0700

Hello, in using Oracle9i I am testing RMan.

I am backing up a test database that is NOT in ArchiveLog mode using RMan (see script below). Also, this particular backup\restore test is NOT using any catalog (not explicity at least) and I am working from the command line (not OEM).

My restore (restore database) works but: 1. How does it determining the location and version of my backup set to use?
2. How can I explicitly tell it to use a specific backup set to use for the restore?

RMan Script
run {
  shutdown immediate;
  startup mount;
  allocate channel d1 type disk;
  backup full format '/usr1/oracle/rman_backups/rman_%d_%U.bus' database;
  alter database open;
}

My restore steps:
0. Delete a critical file (users01.dbf for testing etc.). 1. Set ORACLE_SID

   set ORACLE_SID=db1

2. Connect to Target

   rman target sys/<password>@db1

3. Init the database state for restore.

   RMAN>shutdown immediate
   RMAN>startup mount

4. Perform Restore Operation

   RMAN> restore database;
   RMAN> recover database;
   RMAN> alter database open;

Thanks,

Michael Received on Wed Apr 21 2004 - 15:09:13 CDT