Re: TKPROF: Long CPU time on Execute

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:28:27 +0000 (UTC)

Notes in-line

==
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland http://www.index.is/oracleday.php June 2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar July 2004 USA West Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar August 2004 Charlotte NC, Optimising Oracle Seminar September 2004 USA East Coast, Optimising Oracle Seminar September2004 UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"srivenu" <srivenu_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1a68177.0404202203.95942c2_at_posting.google.com...
> Jonathan,
> Is it true that in old versions of oracle, the building of the result
> set was done in the execute phase

That's the way I remember it. I didn't really notice when it changed, though I have a memory of seeing nearly identical values reported in both Execute and Fetch occasionally in some versions of 8, and wondering what was going on.

> whereas now it is
being done in the
> fetch phase ?

> Also are there any cases in the new versions of oracle where the
> result set was built in the execute phase ?

I don't know. In a couple of quick tests I've just run, it all seems to happen in the FETCH. It is possible that this is due to the way in which Oracle has played around with bundling calls to minimise the number of round trips. Perhaps the actual OCI call that does the work has moved from the thing that used to be called the Execute to the thing that is called the (first) Fetch, and it's just the timing that's different rather than the activity. If that is the case, then I guess there could be a way to write an OCI program so that the work was reported in the Execute. Received on Wed Apr 21 2004 - 08:28:27 CDT