Re: Migrating 9 to 10g, Win2K to Linux

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:17:43 -0700

ErnieD3 wrote:

> Our IT department intends to migrate our Apps Server to Linux Red Hat
> Enterprise Version 3 from Windows 2003 and the Oracle version from
> 9.03 to 10g at the same time. Can anyone tell me what may be involved
> in migrating our Forms and Reports from 9.03 to 10g and from Windows
> to Linux. This change in OS is in test, so not impacting our existing
> system, but I have not been able to find any info on the subject.
>
> Thanks

I'm with Frank on this one. Migrating both at the same time is an act of self-mutilation. If something breaks you will have no way of knowing which of two things is the cause.

Upgrade to 10g first ... then migrate Forms and Reports.

One thing I have to ask though ... has anyone done this on a test box? Run it against a full production dataset and load? What happened? No patches out there yet and you're jumping in with both feet? Gerard may be envious. I think you are asking to lose your evenings, weekends, and sanity.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu