Re: Overheads in using MERGE statement

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:12:44 GMT

Subbu wrote:

> Could anyone tell me the overheads involved in inserting/updating
> records using MERGE statement and normal DML statements if any.

Not sure whether I understand the question .... are you asking whether "the Merge statement, with it's ability to perform the merge operation in one pass, is better or worse than multiple passes using separate DML sequeneces like {update where matched, delete where matched, insert new} or {insert new, update all} or other variant?"

(If you are asking this, then I suggest you could perform your own tests and look at the resulting stats - much easier to understand that way.)

/Hans Received on Tue Apr 20 2004 - 18:12:44 CDT