Re: Oracle Problem on AIX

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Apr 2004 13:53:35 -0700

> AIX & Oracle Version numbers would be nice to know. I've experienced
> the same issue with AIX 4.3.3 and Oracle 8.1.7.4, 9.1.0.3 & 9.2.0.4.
> I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with Oracle directly, but, to
> do with AIX. I have not been able to pin it down. I can let my
> servers run for several months and then paging fills up. Monitoring
> paging space 'free space', I noticed no clear pattern. i.e. I'd see
> 30% free on a Tuesday and then see 50% free the next. I'll be
> upgrading to 5.2 fairly soon, hopefully it's worked out there. I've
> also noticed that when it fills, you might be able to telnet to it,
> but forget about running any kind of os command. I then have to "kick
> the server" to get it back(yuk I don't like the power resets without a
> shutdown).
>
> HTH,
> Pete's

Just had an idea on this problem. Obviously, you should try to check which process is holding so much paging. I just performed an upgrade on a production DB today that's on an HACMP system before performing the upgrade, I noticed I did not shutdown the listener. At the time I had 'topas' running and was monitoring the overall system performance, I took note of where paging free space was at. I then shutdown the listener and wallaa, my paging space went from approx. 30% used(with the database shutdown and listener running) to approx. 5% used with no oracle processes running. The node has been up for approx. 25 days with no listener shutdowns or restarts. I'll be investigating the listener process further as paging is filled up.

HTH,
Pete's Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 15:53:35 CDT