Re: How do you tell if a user account is in the grace period ?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:08:44 GMT

Richard Elliott wrote:

> Need to be able to tell from a Power Builder client if the user is
> still in the grace period when the account has expired ?
>
> Don't see any flag in any of the user tables ?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.

USER_USERS or DBA_USERS:

if EXPIRY_DATE > current date/time or EXPIRY_DATE IS NULL then account's password is currently valid

if EXPIRY_DATE <= current date/time and LOCKED_DATE IS NULL then account's password is expired and user MUST change password before a session can be created. This, of course, is a Catch-22, because the user can not get in to select the information.

if LOCKED_DATE <= current date/time the account is locked and only manual intervention (eg: DBA unlocking the account)

The only error message I've found related to this is TNS-12687 although a diligent search in the Networking or Error Manaual or in metalink should show which error code happens as a result of expired credentials. I do know that the ODBC drive from Oracle handles this - you may be able to simulate the situation

If PowerBuilder can't handle the appropriate error code, I don't know how PowerBuilder could interact during grace period short of having a wide-open account that can only select the 3 fields (username, expiry_date, locked_date) from DBA_USERS and doing a double-connect.

/Hans Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 11:08:44 CDT