Re: Oracle client for DOS

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:16:28 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> Any client that you get truly for DOS is also going to have a hell of a
> time connecting to an Oracle 9i database. Oracle 9i clients don't
> connect to Oracle 7 databases because of changes in the SQL Net
> layers... so I assume Oracle 7 clients don't readily connect to Oracle
> 9i databases either. Anything that is truly a DOS client is itself going
> to be from at least the Oracle 7 or earlier vintage, and is therefore
> most unlikely to be able to talk to 9i databases. I suppose, on the
> other hand, that miracles do happen.

Just for the record: According to the client/server certification matrix, 7.3.4 client to 9iR2 Server connections are classified as 'WAS' i.e. when 7.3.4 was still supported or in the first two years of EMS, it *was* expected to work with 9iR2 Servers, and from my experience it does.

However, since 7.3.4 is desupported, it's pretty unlikely that someone at Oracle will put much effort in helping the OP, considering the quality of support that was discussed on this group recently....

Regards,

Holger Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 06:16:28 CDT