Re: Client Name

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:12:55 +1000

Marjina wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to get the clients name that are currently connected to the database.
> Should I use SYS_CONTEXT ('USERENV', 'TERMINAL') in order to get the Client name?
> Your suggestion will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marjina

I suppose that would do it, though if we're talking about simple SQL you could equally well get the information from v$session:

C:\Documents and Settings\Howard>sqlplus scott/tiger_at_lx10

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Apr 19 18:09:08 2004

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> select server, osuser, process, machine, terminal

   2 from v$session where username='SCOTT';

SERVER    OSUSER                         PROCESS      MACHINE
TERMINAL
DEDICATED Howard                         2344:508     DIZWELL\SHOSTAKOVICH
SHOSTAKOVICH I'm not sure what you meant by getting the "client's name", but that little lot shows my Windows username ("Howard"), my Windows PC's hostname ("Shostakovich") and the Domain name ("Dizwell"), which should cover most eventualities.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Apr 19 2004 - 03:12:55 CDT