Re: Date ... Date ...Da

From: Tom Barnes <nospam1978_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Apr 2004 22:22:23 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<6t4u701j71361dg2ahut59lcdcu2364ss1_at_4ax.com>...
> On 15 Apr 2004 10:38:33 -0700, only_forme4_at_hotmail.com (moon) wrote:
>
> >Don't tell me that I should not be "Lazy Programmer", and I should do
> >the following:
> >
> >(double) Short + (double) Double + (double) Int
> >
> >; )
>
> Yes you should. The industry is currently already suffering more than
> enough from people like you.
> If you don't want that, find another job where you can earn money by
> doing nothing.

I think you guys are being a little too harsh to moon. Most programming languages does automatic type conversions to some extent. Are you claiming that you're suffering from the people who developed Java? Should James Gosling "find another job where he can earn money doing nothing"?

Most C compilers supports 5 integral types (char, short, int, long, long long). Most of these types can also be unsigned. IMO, it would be ridiculous to have to write stuff like:

unsigned long long big_number = (unsigned long long) i_am_a_short;

A cast like this doesn't provide any information to the reader or to the compiler - it just makes the program less readable.

-Tom Received on Sun Apr 18 2004 - 00:22:23 CDT