Re: very low hit ratio

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:35:58 +1000

Carl Kayser wrote:

> p.s. I was wondering if your comments were based upon the online chapter or
> the whole book?

Merely the online chapter, I'm afraid. Actually, I've never even heard of the author before. But as I say, he has some rather intelligent comments to make about the hit ratio (my only grumble is that, for Oracle, it would be even more intelligent not to mention it at all!), and I was overall impressed, albeit on a very thin basis of just one sample chapter.

Put it this way: unlike certain other authors that could be named, he *doesn't* say that 'if you can increase the buffer cache hit ratio from 95 to 98%, your database will perform 400% faster' (though I suspect that your author's reference to seeing "98%" advised in one or more performance tuning books is a direct reference to that lunatic assertion).

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Apr 17 2004 - 18:35:58 CDT