Re: very low hit ratio

From: Carl Kayser <kayser_c_at_bls.gov>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:31:49 -0400

OK, OK - Niall & Howard. I made a lousy statement which is objectively incorrect. In my environment I usually get a 98-99% hit ratio and that does not mean, as both of you have pointed out, that it is a good target for every system. I agree that there is no single measure that provides a magic bullet. A high hit ratio value can be obtained by repeated table scans in
memory by a poorly constructed query or queries. (I usually detect this by a big jump in the number of hits.)

In the post that I was responding to:

"I get a data buffer hit ratio of more than 90%. The users still yell at me that the database is not responding ! So it really depends. If your users do not yell at you, forget about the hit-ratio and have a good sleep."

My take was that he was inferring "I get a high hit ratio and therefore the buffer cache is adequate." I disagree with that position (if that was what he
was inferring). Unfortunately, my posted response was very, very different from my intent.

p.s. I was wondering if your comments were based upon the online chapter or the whole book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0130834173/ref=sib_dp_rdr/104-8369762-3779959#reader-page