Re: slow Oracle9i-server

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:09:12 +0200

On 17 Apr 2004 14:37:07 GMT, Christoph Waglechner <cwaglechner_at_gmx.at> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I'm running an Oracle9i server on Win2000. After restarting the server, the
>Oracle server application is about five times slower than before. A virus-
>infection is nearly impossible, and other processes are working normally.
>
>Former restarts didn't have any effects on the Oracle9i's performance.
>
>greetz Christoph

Other than 'It doesn't work' your post doesn't contain any useful clues. How did you determine 'the Oracle server application is about five times' slower? What is 'the Oracle server application'? A homegrown application? The RDBMS? Any figures anyone here could look into? Why did you decide to restart the server? Generally speaking Oracle has a buffer cache, containing records fetched from tables into memory. It also contains a shared pool, sharing sql statements and dictionary info. It will take time before such caches reach an optimum. Once you 'restart the server', you will reset those caches completely, and Oracle will need to fetch the data in cache *again*. However, I have never ever in 15 years seen this result in a 5-times slowdown, so you really should keep in mind, that crystall balls have been sold out here since long, and you really need to come up with something substantial.
If you need assistance doing that, you should let us know.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA