Re: Table partitioning problem

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 14:40:03 +0000 (UTC)

Notes in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message

> >>partition test_30 values (30),
> >>partition test_31 values (31)
> >>);
> >>
> >>I get syntax errors on the PARTITION BY RANGE line. It seems to expect
> >>*only* a fieldname there.
> >>

> I wouldn't do that for two reasons: one, list partitioning is fairly
> new, whereas range partitioning isn't (bugs?).
Not all that new - 9.0 was the first release, I believe - it's just that time passes faster as we grow older. I'd also guess that list partitioning is a relatively minor evolution from hash partitioning, and therefore likely to be fairly clear of 'new' bugs.

And two, list partitions
> cannot be hash sub-partitioned, whereas range partitions can. The OP may
> never need hash sub-partitioning, it is true.... but then again, he
> might. Range partitioning will do what he definitely needs to do, and
> gives him flexibility in the future should business requirements need it.

On the other hand, range partitioning will allow errors to occur with illegal values permitted, unless there is also a check constraint to enforce exactly the correct set of values. Note that he/she wants exactly 31 partitions to cover the 31 possible values of day component in a date. It's not a natural range-partition. In passing, for the benefit of the OP, the main problem with the example is that the partitioning column has to be defined as a real column in the table. It would be possible to create an extra column populated by a trigger (which would be slow on bulk loading) but the column HAS to exist.