Re: Date ... Date ...Da

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 02:09:00 GMT

"moon" <only_forme4_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2afc1efd.0404160319.4b1feeef_at_posting.google.com...
> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl> wrote:
> > Yes you should. The industry is currently already suffering more than
> > enough from people like you.
> > If you don't want that, find another job where you can earn money by
> > doing nothing.
>
> Forget Oracle for now! One of the books state this rule (may be for
> you :) ):
>
> "An explicit type conversion (cast) is preferable to a doubtful
> implicit type conversion."
>
> I don't know if you are feeling that (and I will be really sorry :( ):
>
> Short + Double + Int
>
> is a doubtful expression.
>
> Peace : )

Moon,
I think you miss the point. Isn't the goal to make your logic work in a scalable, reliable, useful fashion? Assuming that is your goal then you need to understand that different environments, programming languages, RDBMSs, work differently. If you are going to rely on a default behavior then that default behavior may not work very well in a different context. In those cases you need to use whatever is recommended in that programing logic context. (eg explicitly do a conversion if that programing language calls for it.) It doesn't help you to write a program in Fortran and rely on behavior of Java. Since Fortran != Java.

If I have mistated your goal then you just want to flame and in that case you go into the kill file.
Jim Received on Fri Apr 16 2004 - 21:09:00 CDT