Re: TKPROF: Long CPU time on Execute

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:13:19 +0200

On 16 Apr 2004 09:20:32 -0700, pkolton_at_hotmail.com (Pete) wrote:

>As you can see; 1.33 seconds CPU on the Fetch, but 1484 seconds on the
>Execute! I thought that it was only Inserts and Updates that did a
>lot of work on the Execute?

That 1484 seconds for a statement which is called 8701 times, and 1.33 seconds for 8701 fetches returning 0 rows. Doesn't look like unreasonable to me.

Also: you are wrong in assuming only INSERT and UPDATE consume CPU during the execute phase. ORDER BY, GROUP BY and the like are executed on in the database, so they also count during execute. A range scan, as you can see counts during execute.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA