Re: Oracle 8 slacking when printing Crystal Report

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:49:11 -0500

On 15 Apr 2004 17:31:33 -0700, kplasun_at_hotmail.com (kris p) wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have a performance problem with Oracle when printing a Crystal
>Report. The query when run by itself through sqlplus runs fast, the
>report when printed through Crystal Report designer runs fast as well
>but when I print the report through my application it takes 2-3
>minutes to print. It's not my applications pre-report processing that
>takes up any time but the Crystal Raw_Export() method. I look at the
>processor and Oracle process stats through PERFMON in windows and
>Oracle barely does anything, shows a spike here, a blip there and
>that's it, slow like a drunk on an assembly line.

<snip>

Must be the undocumented init parm:

PROCESS_WHEN_APP_IS_PRINTING = fast

Or . . .

Oracle is just processing the query. It doesn't know or care that some app is going to print a report with the results. If the query runs acceptably under sqlplus, then your bottleneck when printing is not with the query.

Which is not to say that there might not be some tuning opportunity with the query, but without seeing the table and index defs and some knowledge of the data distribution and volume, it would be hard for anyone to offer much there. Received on Fri Apr 16 2004 - 07:49:11 CDT