Re: Resize datafile questions

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:19:09 GMT

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:24:56 GMT, ITAPORT06 wrote:

>Oracle 8.1.7.4 WINNT NTFS
>
>I have a datafile of 2.4 GB.
>I have read articles about max size of a datafile. It is still not
>clear to me what is safe or not.
>
>I have the idea to create an aditional datafile
>Data file 1 (Which currently 2.4GB )Bring it back to 2GB
>Data file 2 (New) 2.GB
>
>Resizing I want to do by export - drop user - import (shall I make use
>of compress?
>
>The current datafile has increase unlimited. In the new situation I
>want to make Data file 1 max 2GB and the additional Data file 2
>Unlimited (in case of)
>Does this make any sense or not or should I forget resizing of the
>datafile and let it grow till 4 GB
>Thanks

As long the datafile size does not extend the max recommended file size of your O/s, it's safe. But very large datafiles can be awkward to handle regarding backup/recovery. The commonly used maxsize of 2Gb is merely traditional.

Don't EVER set maxsize unlimited. If an application goes crazy and fills your tablespace, you will most likely not get a warning before your disk runs full. It's better to get an earlier warning when the tablespace has grown to it's max limit (which of course should be below the disk limit).

BTW, are you aware of the option of resizing datafiles directly ?

If the upper 0,4 Gb of your 2,4 Gb datafile is free space :

Alter database datafile 'bla-bla_001.dbf' resize 2048m;