Re: Newbie question on how to change Oracle 9i listener port number

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:50:49 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> Frank van Bortel wrote:
>

>> Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>>> I'm confused, Frank! What about dispatchers? They don't "listen" on
>>> port 1521, do they?
>>>
>>> They merely register themselves with a listener running on that port
>>> number, or another that you specify. True, they have to recieve
>>> netwiork connections, and therefore are open for business on a port
>>> of their own devising, but that's randomly chosen in the 50,000+
>>> range, IIRC.
>>>
>>> I think I must be missing your point.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> HJR
>>

>> afaik, you can configure the port(s) for mts; I used it on Windows
>> when use_shared_socket was broken

> Yeah, you can do dispatchers="blah blah (PORT=xxxx). But what's that got
> to do with someone posting
>
> "Just wondering if it's possible to change the [Default Listener] port
> number (1521)"
>
> ??
>
> Or how the existence of dispatchers awaiting connections on their own
> ports affects my original statement "it's only the contents of the
> listener.ora that tells the listener which port to listen on".
>
> Changing your dispatchers parameter isn't going to change your listener
> port, is it?
>
> And if you want to change your listener port, where would you do it,
> other than in the listener.ora??
>
> Or am I still missing your point (speak slowly....!!)
>
> Regards
> HJR
I was merely trying to make a point; however, rereading the original thread, I doubt if dispatchers were configured anyway (apart from the standard XDB on port 80, perhaps). So your comment still stands (that wasn't the point anyway, sorry if I made someone think that!).

And it's not an issue anymore (perhaps Don made the changes, but did not ESC :wq?).

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel