Re: Resize datafile questions

From: dsb <dana_at_iqms.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:37:48 -0700

Hi,

There is an Oracle bug that can happen if the file was smaller than 2 gig but extended past 2 gig. Also, if you wanted to migrate the database to a different operating system that just plain can't handle files over 2 gig, you would have a problem. By migrate, I mean apart from using the export/import utility. I mean by copying the datafiles themselves. This is usually only an issue when copying the files is faster than the actual import... I don't think it applies to you, but you be the judge.

If it doesn't apply to you, just set your first datafile to not autoexend, and create a second datafile of 2 gig, also not to auto-extend. If you think you'll use it too quickly, create a third 2 gig file.

The compress option on export does not compress the export file. It tells Oracle to remove / ignore all blank space in extents that might be there for row updates, and it tells the import utility to cram all the data into one large extent upon import. If your database is small you'll probably never feel the pain. But this can cause performance and space management issues.

Best regards,
db