Re: Newbie question on how to change Oracle 9i listener port number

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 07:55:36 +1000

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Frank van Bortel wrote:

>>> Emmm - what about MTS,^H^H^H^H dispatchers? That'd be the instance.
>>

>> I'm confused, Frank! What about dispatchers? They don't "listen" on
>> port 1521, do they?
>>
>> They merely register themselves with a listener running on that port
>> number, or another that you specify. True, they have to recieve
>> netwiork connections, and therefore are open for business on a port of
>> their own devising, but that's randomly chosen in the 50,000+ range,
>> IIRC.
>>
>> I think I must be missing your point.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR
>

> afaik, you can configure the port(s) for mts; I used it on Windows
> when use_shared_socket was broken

Yeah, you can do dispatchers="blah blah (PORT=xxxx). But what's that got to do with someone posting

"Just wondering if it's possible to change the [Default Listener] port number (1521)"

??

Or how the existence of dispatchers awaiting connections on their own ports affects my original statement "it's only the contents of the listener.ora that tells the listener which port to listen on".

Changing your dispatchers parameter isn't going to change your listener port, is it?

And if you want to change your listener port, where would you do it, other than in the listener.ora??

Or am I still missing your point (speak slowly....!!)

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Apr 15 2004 - 16:55:36 CDT