Re: Proper NLS settings for Multi-byte support

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:43:57 GMT

"William Jones" <consultant_at_aawc.com> wrote in message news:f009ba4.0404150800.b5c3d25_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> We currently have an Oracle 9.2.0.4 RAC database that will be handling
> mostly data in English; however, we need multi-byte support for future
> storage of text/address information from Japanese or Chinese sources.
>
> Currently the NLS_CHARACTERSET value is set to WE8ISO8859P1 and the
> NLS_LANG on the server is AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8.
>
> A little unclear as to the inter-relationship between NLS_LANG and
> NLS_CHARACTERSET; however, how can the above-mentioned database store
> multi-byte characters if NLS_CHARACTERSET is set to western European
> value?
>
> I have over seven years of solid Oracle DBA experience; however, new
> to internationalization (i.e., multi-byte support). Any enlightenment
> will be humbly appreciated. Especially, will the NLS_LANG and
> NLS_CHARACTERSET listed work for storing multibyte characters?
>
> Regards,
>
> William

William,

There is a NLS guide/documentation at tahiti.oracle.com which should answer a lot of your questions.

NLS_LANG is a client env setting and not a database setting. NLS_CHARACTERSET is the characterset that the database uses.
That said, the NLS_LANG env setting on your server does not seem right to me.

Also, the characterset of the database is set at creation time and can only be changed if changing to a subset of the
current characterset. Thus WE8..... will probably not be a good choice if you plan to store Japanese/Chinese
characters. I will not comment on what characterset would be best for you (That you should decide after
reading the manual and doing some research first).

Anurag Received on Thu Apr 15 2004 - 12:43:57 CDT