Re: Performance problem with PL/SQL procedure

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:40:40 GMT

On 15 Apr 2004 06:41:21 -0700, josesony_at_rediffmail.com (Sony Jose) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have some stored procedures that are pretty time consuming. (They
>have been optimized to the maximum extend - very little to be done on
>that now). These procedures need to be executed repeatedly for a range
>of input parameters (batch processing from unix cron job).
>
>In order to work around this situation, we designed the cron job to
>create multiple background processes accessing the stored procs (each
>for a different range of inputs). Our assumption was that, this way,
>the processing time will be less than that for using a single unix
>process to invoke the procedures for the entire range of input.
>However, we are finding that the processing time is actually the same
>in both cases.
>
>Could someone please tell us whether there's a solution for this
>(maybe we need to change some settings somewhere?). Or is this how it
>works in Oracle? (We're using 7.3.4, by the way.) Any help will be
>appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Sony Jose.

You provide almost no information of how your applicaction works. How do you expect us to help you then?

Upgrade your DB to a supported version, e.g. 9.2 . That is the best (and only) advice I can give you. There is only limited chance that it will help your application to perform better (though PL/SQL has been enhanced in many ways since 7.3.), but it is a good start.