Date ... Date ...Da

From: moon <only_forme4_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Apr 2004 16:22:13 -0700

Hi All,

I don't know why Oracle complicating the issue of implicit and explicit converion, I think if they follow the same pattern of Java then it would be much better to deal with. Whatever, My question is about the following parg I read from Oracle SQL REf. and it says the following:

"During arithmetic operations on and comparisons between character and noncharacter datatypes, Oracle converts from any character datatype to a
number, date, or rowid, as appropriate. In arithmetic operations between
CHAR/VARCHAR2 and NCHAR/NVARCHAR2, Oracle converts to a number."

According to the Ref this should executes successfuly:

>select '12-AUG-19' - sysdate from dual

but i got this error:

>ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes: expected CHAR got DATE

Why ? Why?

Thank you very much for your help in advance

Note:
The NLS_DATE_FORMAT is 'DD-MON-RR'