Re: The old raw devices chestnut.

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:07:13 GMT

Brian Peasland wrote:

>>From what I remember of Oracle's "basic" backup tool (and I haven't
>>had much to do with it since 8.1.6) you have to put tablespaces
>>(equivalent to our dbspaces) into "backup mode" before you can back
>>them up which means they can't be written to. It's also typical to do
>>all this one tablespace at a time. If my memory is serving me
>>correctly (and I'm quite open to being told it isn't) this is a vastly
>>more primitive mechanism than either ontape or onbar.
>>
>>Has the basic backup tool moved on since then, and does RMAN avoid any
>>such limitations?

> RMAN does not have this limitation. You do not have to put any
> tablespaces in backup mode for RMAN to perform a hot backup.
>

> HTH,
> Brian

And in fact, pretty much nothing in Andy's memory of Oracle 8.1.6 is actually correct. RMAN was available with 8.1.6, tablespaces did not need to be placed in backup mode for a hot backup, and even if you did do it this was, they could still be written to. And I don't think that RMAN could ever be described as more primitive than ontape, and definately not onbar, especially if you do a comparison of capabilites over the timeline.

And, just to be clear, the comment from Andrew Hamm is also incorrect

> ok - I've heard that Oracle has a "variety" of backup procedures, some of
> them home-cooked, some of them tools you have to pay for

RMAN is not a chargeable option with Oracle. It provided as part of the base product, just as onbar is. Received on Wed Apr 14 2004 - 10:07:13 CDT